Sunday, January 9, 2011

A creative mess!

A mess it truly was.  I am not sure why I am posting this other than I love what I've done to my office.  I thought I would share with you.


Since I've taken up my new passion of sewing I was able to phase everyone out of the old game room (which is now my office/craft room).  It was a tedious process....


My husband and son would complain about me having the lights on in the game room.  So one day my husband came home with a present.  Yeah I like presents!  It was a fancy little light for the side of my sewing machine.  Here, he said I will help you hook it up.  I love it, thank you!  Little did I know he had an ulterior motive with that purchase.   Honey, you really don't need the lights on in here to sew anymore do you.   Apparently they had a hard time seeing the TV with the lights on while playing their game.  Anyone familiar with Call of Duty?  My son would ask me if I could turn down my sewing machine because it sounded like a .50 cal going off while he was trying to play COD.   Sound effects I would tell him.  But it was all part of the plan..hehehehe


After a few month of this battle, my husband and son decided to move out of the game room as they were getting lost in my "creativity" as I call it.  Needless to say the great room is now the center for all video gaming not to mention watching countless football games.   It was a win-win situation I figured.  They got the big TV and I got my space.  


Like I said it was a bit of a mess, I didn't realize how much of a mess it became after they moved out because I was lost in what I was doing.  I knew where everything was but figured it was time to make it truly my space.


Here is what I did.....just a word of caution.  It didn't look like this all the time, but when my husband started to refer to my office as a "Sweat shop" I knew it was time for change.


I thought storage containers were good purchase for all my fabrics.  It worked for awhile.   The handy little holder for my embroidery thread, another good purchase I thought, until Zeppelin (cat) decided he like to play with my thread and figured out how to "get it and go!"  Then adding Chloe (dog) into the fun.  One day Zeppy had Chloe tangled in a spool of thread.  It's time to field day!!



My desk was overcome with creativity.  However, Dozer was not a bit disturbed by all the commotion as noted by him sleeping in the chair.  


I had my little stations set up now that everyone has moved out.  I strategically placed my machines by the windows so I could look outside.  Note the blinds are now shut...embarrassed by the mess!





A long weekend came up, and my son was home from school.  He was taking Tech Ed: Industrial Arts at the time.  So I decided to recruit him in my efforts.  As a  7th grader he was still pretty easy to recruit.  I asked him what kind of stuff he was doing in Industrial Arts and he said they were building things.  Viola' I am in like flinn I thought.  "You want to help me build some cabinets and stuff for my office?"  He said yes.  I was so happy!  




We moved EVERYTHING out....except my desk.  It was too big




Wow, look at all this space


And you can actually walk around in here without tripping over something my son said.

  


After choosing my paint which was not an easy task.  I love paint, but couldn't decide on the exact shade of the color I wanted.  I wanted something bright and cheery and this is what I ended up with.



So organized and my creativity is now endless



Now the guys want to move back in.......




2 comments:

  1. KEEP THEM OUT!!! This looks amazing! I recently moved from "craft room" to "office". While mine isn't as gorgeous, it's amazing what a makeover can do.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And as I was blogging the hubby said he had to come in and watch the game with one of his friends. At least there's room now for visitors :-)

    ReplyDelete